Monday 8 November 2010

How low can you go?

I feel a little in limbo at the moment.

As you all know by now I'm off to bother monkeys in South Africa in January, after which I might finally tackle the career crisis I've been putting off for ages and try to work out what I want to do in life. But until then, I'm just...waiting.

I'm also in the middle of buying a house. Anyone who has been through this excruciatingly drawn-out process will know that it involves a lot of hanging around waiting for other people. Waiting for a survey to be done, waiting for the sellers to find somewhere else to live to complete the chain and waiting for the solicitors to do whatever it is they need to do to justify all that money I'm sending them. This is just adding to the limbo state.

I can't really complain of course. Plenty of people would love to be in my position and I am truly lucky, but it has left me with a slight lack of focus. I've found myself cruising along at work, which is not surprising I suppose, but I'm also not doing much with my evenings. For example, months ago I promised myself that I would start writing something, anything, before this year was out and that I would read more than I have been. I've achieved neither and I'm angry with myself about it.

I'm hoping that when things finally start moving with the house and the new year comes around I'll snap out of it. It will probably be around then that I'll start panicking when I realise all the things I should have been doing while I was cocking about in limbo haven't been done, so maybe I won't have a choice but to become proactive.

Like my friend Dennis here;

No comments: